Help from charities
They can offer advice, counselling and practical help for people and their families who are living with illness.
Citizens Advice also offers advice about financial help.
You can check whether you're eligible for any of the benefits listed below:
- Employment Support Allowance (ESA) – if you're unable to work as a result of illness or disability
- Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) – for some people who are employed
- Carer's Allowance – if you're looking after someone
- Attendance Allowance – for disabled people aged 65 or over, or who need care
- Pension Credit
- Tax Credits and Child Tax Credits
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Reduction
Not everybody will be eligible for these benefits and, if you're eligible, claiming them might affect other benefits you receive. For example, getting a Carer's Allowance can affect the benefits of the person you're caring for.
You can use the Turn2us benefits calculator to see which benefits you might qualify for.
Help for those caring for you
If you or your partner, family or other carers want more information about where to find help and support on financial issues for people who are looking after someone who's ill, see our Social care and support guide.
- Age UK: benefits and entitlements
- Cancer Research UK: financial support
- Macmillan Cancer Support: organising your finances
- Marie Curie: benefits and financial support
Enquiry phone lines
- Pensions – 0800 731 7898
- Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit – 0345 300 3900