When to get medical help
Call 999 if you're struggling to breathe or have sudden shortness of breath and:
- your chest feels tight or heavy
- you have pain that spreads to your arms, back, neck and jaw
- you feel or are being sick
You could be having a heart attack or a problem with your lungs or airway.
Call 999 immediately as you need treatment in hospital.
See a GP if you have shortness of breath and:
- it's lasted for longer than a month
- it gets worse when you have been active
- it gets worse when you lie down
- you have been coughing for 3 weeks or more
- you have swollen ankles
It's important to get medical advice to make sure it's nothing serious. You're not wasting anyone's time by getting it checked out.
Causes of shortness of breath
Shortness of breath has lots of different causes.
Any treatment you may need depends on what's causing your symptoms.
Don't try to self-diagnose the cause of your shortness of breath – always see a GP.