Will I get an NHS Health Check from my GP surgery?
Because the NHS Health Check programme is run by local authorities, how you get your check varies, depending on where you live.
The majority of NHS Health Checks are done in GP surgeries and local pharmacies, but in some areas they may also be offered at other suitable and accessible places in your area. For example, to passers-by at mobile units or at leisure centres.
What should I do if I’m under the age of 40 or over the age of 74?
People under the age of 40 are not included in the NHS Health Check programme because younger people have a lower risk of the health conditions tested for during the check. But if you have any questions, speak to a GP or nurse.
If you're over the age of 74 and have any questions or concerns, you should also speak to a GP or nurse as soon as possible.
Is there anything I can do to get an NHS Health Check other than wait to be invited?
You could ask your GP surgery if they offer the NHS Health Check and if they can let you know when you will be invited.
If your GP surgery does not offer the NHS Health Check, find out where the NHS Health Check programme is offered in your area or contact your local authority to find out how to get a check.
Ask a pharmacist
Some pharmacies offer NHS Health Checks. It's worth asking a local pharmacist if they can help.
Many pharmacies can take your blood pressure even if they are not providing the NHS Health Check.
Private health checks
If you're eligible, the NHS Health Check is free of charge, including any follow-up tests and appointments. Private health providers offer the tests available on the NHS Health Check, but you have to pay.
Online tests and tools
There are many online interactive tools and self-assessments that can help you immediately get an idea of how healthy you are.
- If you're over 30, take the online Heart Age test to see what your risk of getting heart disease or stroke is.
- Find out if you're at risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Use the BMI calculator to see whether you're a healthy weight for your height. If you're overweight, it will also tell you what your daily calorie range should be to help you lose weight.
- Could you be drinking too much? Find ways to drink less from Public Health England.
- Take the How Are You quiz created by Public Health England for an overview of your current health and wellbeing.