2 days before
For 2 days before a colonoscopy, you should only eat plain foods like:
- plain chicken not in a sauce
- white rice, pasta or bread
- clear soup
Your letter should tell you what you can eat and drink.
1 day before
The day before your colonoscopy you'll need to drink sachets of laxatives to empty your bowels ready for the test.
- need to drink a few sachets
- need to drink the sachets at different points throughout the day
- get diarrhoea a few hours after taking the first sachet
Stay at home and be near a toilet after you've starting drinking the laxatives.
You need to drink the laxative as it says on your letter. Otherwise the specialist may not be able to do your colonoscopy.