Cradle cap is not itchy or painful and does not bother your baby.
It's not clear what causes cradle cap. It cannot be caught from another baby.
Things you can try to get rid of cradle cap
- wash your baby's hair regularly with baby shampoo and gently loosen flakes with a soft brush
- gently rub on baby oil or a vegetable oil (such as olive oil) to soften the crusts
- use baby oil, vegetable oil or petroleum jelly overnight and wash with baby shampoo in the morning
- do not use peanut oil (because of the allergy risk)
- do not use soap
- do not use adult shampoos
- do not pick crusts – this can cause an infection
Hair may come away with the flakes, but do not worry, your baby's hair will soon grow back.
You can ask a pharmacist:
- about cradle cap treatments